Registered Charity 1162342
To refresh this page, please press the F5 button.
To keep spirits up, we will post a beautiful photo each day - press the [Picture of the day] button above. The hills above the south end of Derwent Water give a spectacular view, with the river Derwent below our viewpoint weaving its way past the Lodore Falls Hotel and through the flood-plain to feed the lake. Do email your own photos, which must be appropriate for the purpose for consideration to email@example.com - please use 'POTD' (Picture of the day) in the Subject.
Bishop Olivia has posted a Sermon for Pentecost, which can be found HERE.
Do attend the 11am livestream Sunday service that takes place each week. (You can join it any time after 10:45am.) This week, it is Morning Prayer in the St Martin's tradition. Please also join us for a live stream Evening Prayer/Compline service via Zoom to be held every Thursday evening at 8.15 pm.
We have put brief appreciations of Joyce Underwood, Mary Haynes and Marian Hopkins, who have recently died. Please use the IN MEMORIAM button above or click HERE.
Brian's jokes are HERE.
St Mary's church is situated in Winkfield on the edge of Windsor Forest. It dates back to 1298, when the first vicar, Galpidus de Pickeforde is recorded in the register. A Saxon building is believed to have previously occupied the site. The church itself has been much altered over time and is a Grade II* listed building.
The central section of the church dates from the late 13th century, and the red brick bell tower replaced the original wooden structure in the early 17th century (a brick carries initials and the date 1629). A spiral staircase leads to the clock and the bell chamber, containing six bells dated between 1597 and 1874.
The interior of the church is plain, a likely consequence of Parliamentarian sympathies of local residents during the Civil War. The main aisle is divided by a series of octagonal oak columns running down its centre and supporting the roof. One column is carved with a crown and Tudor rose, the date 1592 and the royal initials ER indicating that this was given to the Church by Elizabeth I.
Generated 29-May-2020 14:47:16